Sunday, July 11, 2010

Journal 5

Men and Womens Restroom Signs
I chose the classic male and female symbols to represent the different genders for the restrooms. The white shows up well on the blue and even better if the bathroom door is in a hallway that's dark. The symbols are meant to stand for the reproductive organs therefore most in the world are able to connect with the symbols to understand which room to use.

Fire Extinguisher
The colors chosen for this sign are that associated with fire. The figure holding the fire extinguisher pops off the yellow making it more noticeable when seen from across a room. I created this sign at my work and when I asked any of the children from camp what they thought the sign was for and each instantly understood it was for a fire extinguisher. Whether its a child or someone that does not even speak English, they could easily understand what the sign stood for.

Janitor's Closet
A broom and dust pan were chosen for the symbols on the Janitor Closet sign. Brooms and dust pans are associated with cleaning for that is their uses. So I thought that if someone found this sign on a door, they'd understand it would be for those who clean or storage for cleaning objects. Since I used black for the objects, I chose to make the objects more as outlines instead of entirely solid symbols that way they stood out better and viewers can decipher what they objects are.

Executive Washroom
Yellow was my choice for this restroom sign because one can connect yellow to be similar to the color gold which relates to crown. Since there is a need for an "executive washroom" then the person the bathroom is meant for obviously believes they are better than their employees. An attitude that goes with royalty. That being the case, I decided to put a crown over the image of a toilet for new sign for the Executive Washroom.

Parking Garage
I used the idea of viewing three-level car garage from the side when I created this sign. I took the colors from many road signs you see everyday that instruct you on where to go. White and black are very simple and I believed that they worked here along with the symmetry of the images.
Exit
A simple sign to understand which is that of a figure walking out of a door. The viewer will understand that it is an exit because the arrow is pointing towards the open door, not away. Red was the main color choice due to the fact that it's an attention grabbing color which in emergency cases, the exit would need to be found right away.

No comments:

Post a Comment